COVID-19 has us saying "HOLD ON!" for
Rafting Adventures for 2020.
We look forward to seeing you
on the river in 2021!
The staff here knows white water rafting isn't an everyday activity, and we know there are lots of questions.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions!
What rafting trip is right for me?
- We offer trips to meet every ability and vacation need, whether it is an introduction to white water rafting for the whole family or an easy ride down the river.
- Monday through Thursday, we offer float trips - a perfect way to relax and enjoy the scenery in inflatable kayaks we call duckies. These are custom trips and can be offered guided or unguided.
- Looking for a family friendly trip with a little more action? Then join us Friday through Sunday on the dam released Androscoggin River for one of our half-day whitewater rafting trips at Pontook Dam for some class II and III white water fun! We offer morning and afternoon trips, and each trip consists of 2 runs down the 2.5 miles of river.
- Looking to take the adventure up a notch? Reserve duckies for our afternoon trip!
- No matter which rafting trip fits your needs, experienced white water raft guides are at your disposal to ensure your trip is safe and enjoyable. There is never a dull moment here at Mahoosuc Outdoors!
- All of our trips meet right at our base - Mahoosuc Outdoors & North Woods Rafting is located at Mahoosuc Inn, 877 Milan Road, aka Route 16, in Milan, NH. Milan is located 10 minutes north of Berlin, 20 minutes north of Gorham, and most importantly, less than 10 minutes from the Pontook Dam - our put-in on the Androscoggin River! We are the closest base to the river!
- Wear what you expect to get wet! Footwear must be closed toe and heel - water shoes or sneakers are perfect - to protect your feet. Bathing suits, t-shirts, and shorts are fine in the summer. YOU WILL GET WET! You may bring a towel to leave on the bus, and we do have changing rooms when you return.
- We offer a 10 % discount for groups of 10 with one group leader who is the sole contact and responsible for organizing and paying - basically, they get to go free!
- Anytime we offer trips! We have reliable water all summer long! It is dam controlled, and we run on scheduled recreational release days when water flow is increased for recreational purposes. In June, those days are Saturday and Sunday. In July and August, the recreational releases are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We have a recreational release on July 4th, too!
- The earlier in the summer season, the higher the chance of having superb water levels and conditions (June through 4th of July). Later in the summer season, during hot and/or dry bouts of weather, water levels are always consistent with the recreational release flow, and by mid summer, the water is warm!
- The best time to kayak or schedule a float trip on the Ammonoosuc is during spring for increased water levels on this flat water adventure.
- YES! Reservations are required, as all of our white water adventures have a maximum capacity depending on the type of trip and shuttle service availability. You can call and talk with us or make reservations here on our site to ensure your space is reserved today.
- Please arrive at the time listed, as there is plenty of time to get you geared up and sign release forms. Adventurers meet here at our grounds and paddle shop at Mahoosuc Inn, in Milan, NH to prep for fun! Morning Pontook trips meet at 9:30 AM to gear up, and leave to reach the put-in point at 10 am. Afternoon trips meet at 12:30 PM to leave by 1 pm.
- We also offer lodging! Call today if you would like to add lodging to your rafting experience!
- Rafting is a service industry. If your guide has done a great job, a gratuity is greatly appreciated - We always say, "A tip is never expected, but ALWAYS appreciated!"
- Yes. Every participant must complete a required liability form which can be downloaded and filled out, or may be completed at our office when you check in. This is required for all our white water activities.
- ALL MINORS not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian must bring a waiver form signed by their parent or legal guardian. Without this form, the minor will not be allowed to participate. If this applies to you or your group, please call to request our waiver or download it from our web site. Also be mindful of age requirements for some trips, as children under 5 are not allowed on our Pontook raft trips.
- Cold weather? Rain? No worries! We offer guests wet suits and/or splash jackets, along with all of the safety gear - AT NO EXTRA CHARGE - to be sure you have the BEST experience you can! Worried about rain? Rain just brings water levels up and makes your trip more fun! We go out regardless unless safety becomes an issue for those involved.